Special Birthday Gift

Thursday, March 20, 2008


It was my youngest sister's (not the one that's getting married!) 18th birthday recently.  I decided to make her a necklace as a gift.  


I know that when we go out next weekend (for my other sister's hen party) she has a black and white, sixties style outfit planned.  Mum also told me that 'lil sister is also into the whole monochrome thing at the moment.  Armed with this knowledge I began my search for the perfect ingredients for my new project.

I remembered that I saw some exquisitely, expensive, lampwork beads in my local beadshop last time I was there. There was a wonderful selection of lampwork beads for me to take my pick from.   I found what I was looking for.  A black and white, funky patterned, square bead.  Which is a work of art in itself.  Each bead produced is totally unique.

I had to do justice to this work of art bead.  I thought long and hard about what would work.  Played around on my beadboard for ages trying this and that.  I knew what I had to do had to be bold to compliment the lampwork pendant bead.  That's when I came upon the idea of having one half of the necklace beaded black with white moonstones, and the other white with black tourmalines and snowflake obsidians.  I used a sterling silver toggle and loop set for the clasp.

I called up my mum and described the finished necklace over the phone.  She thinks my wee sis will love it.  *fingers crossed*  Will find out for certain next weekend.

0 comments: